Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What Ironman Means To Me

It wasn't long ago that I completed my first sprint triathlon. My time wasn't the best, but I finished. Completing the race was my main focus, my main goal. The feeling I had after crossing the finish line was one of the most incredible sense of accomplishments I've ever experienced. A couple days later, my life took a turn, it was thrown upside down. Those close to me know what I'm talking about. I went into a downward spiral, confused and emotionally drained. Though I still battle my very own thoughts of "what ifs" and so on, I have found solidarity. I'm still looking for some stability in life, but I'll get there.

The sport of triathlon is an awakening of sorts, a life changing experience. Keep in mind, I'm speaking from my own experiences. I feel apart of something much bigger than swimming, running and biking. This community of athletes come together and put their lives through hell, coming out different than they were before. Constantly battling with the thought of giving up when your body says no, but something in your head MUST say "don't give up, you can do this." It's a very mentally cleansing experience.

Team Green posted basically something saying "anyone wishing to do the San Diego IM 70.3..." they will sponsor and get into the race. The thought crossed my mind and it quickly left. There's no way I would even be ready, but then I saw it wasn't until March. The day leading up to this was rough. I kept going in and out of my own thoughts, fighting back tears, missing my kids. Then I realized what attracted me to the sport and thought, "I can do this, I WANT to do this." I emailed or replied to the post and they said "you're in."

What this means to me is a chance to cleanse myself of all negativity in my life and prove to myself that I can overcome anything. I want to climb to the top of the mountain and remain whole, yelling "I can do anything." I want that feeling of accomplishment back in my life. So San Diego IM 70.3 is my goal, my challenge. Everything else going on in my life, as hard as it is, will fuel me to accomplish something that a week ago I never truly thought I'd do so soon, but I am and I will. This is my turning point, my new focus to get my mind mentally prepared to take on any challenge life sends my way.

Thank you so much, Team Green, for giving me this opportunity. You have no idea what this means to me, thank you. I am honored to be representing you guys at this race. Thank you everyone who reads this post and has helped me get inspired to do this. I will have every single one of you on my shoulder, motivating me to push through the tough times and continue on. I won't ever give up. I aim to inspire others hoping they will feel what I've felt.

Here's a link to Team Green, the people helping make this dream a reality. Please visit the site and support such a wonderful company.