Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Mom

First off, this isn't my normal triathlon running story. It's mom day, so here's my story.

Growing up, we didn't have much as far as finances. My mom worked graveyard to make ends meet. She provided what little we had through hard work and determination. We waited in line for government cheese and help with food more times than I would like to remember. My jeans had holes and patches on them and were probably hand me downs from my older brother.

What we lacked in the financial department, we flourished in love. I learned early on the importance of the family circle. Though she worked her ass off to provide for us and I can't recall her really sleeping except for the times she said she wanted to watch a movie with me, she some how ALWAYS had dinner ready, got us to school on time (we mostly walked by ourselves), took us to our sports, and she was always there when we needed mom.

Growing up poor and seeing other kids with the newest stuff on Christmas, I constantly wished I had their "stuff." So that year that our house was broken into and our presents were stolen was a huge hit to my self confidence. My mom worked her magic.

She made me a blanket, bought me a 6 pack of root beer and had my uncle Jeff compile a vhs tape of the incredible hulk show. Her and I cuddled on the couch and she probably fell asleep while o watched the hulk. That is still the most amazing Christmas I've ever had. It didn't matter about the presents, but that my mom made it special with what she had.

Point is, my mom is the strongest person I've ever known. She did something wonderful and she's the reason I'm the man I am today. I'm so thankful for the life I was given and for the mom I have. She means so much to me. So mom, if you're reading this, I love you more than you'll ever know. Thank you for reading me stories at night, thank you for teaching me the importance of family, thank you for making me give back that toy I accidentally stole when I was around 7 and trelling the clerk what I did. Thank you for everything mom.

As I finish this post with tears in my eyes, I urge you all to hug your mom, treat her like a queen because she's the only mom you have.