Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mountains and Valleys

Wake up in the morning and run, bike or swim. Go home, shower, eat, recover. Most of us will head to work and then back home, sleep and repeat. How do you avoid a repetitive training schedule?

I'm not quite sure how to answer that really. Coach Frank explained to me that it's not uncommon for athletes to experience mountains and valleys. Basically, you feel a high when you're out there training, don't have to force anything. Training becomes second nature or something you actually look forward to, but occasionally it becomes stagnant.

Waking up and getting out of bed has been a chore this past week. Often I'm talking myself into sleeping in the night before by not setting my alarm. And when I'm doing these runs alone, I have nothing to account for but my self. When people agree to meet up, I force myself into going which feels great and I'm glad.

I'm wondering if I have hit a point in my regiment that I'm looking for the next step in evolution in my performance. Now I'm aware that it comes with time and hard work, but I'm right there, I can see it. I'm looking for the next challenge and with the JJ100K looming overhead, I have little time to spend in this valley, this low. And by no means am I depressed, just bored I guess.

How do you get out of the valley and continue on with your training?