Thursday, July 10, 2014

Throwback: A Year Later

Looking at my "before" photo, I start to get emotional. My unhappiness is apparent in my face, my skin color and my overall appearance. This was taken about a few weeks after I started making changes, so this wasn't even at my "unhappiest."

There was a point in my life where I just had enough and wanted to change the way I thought and the way I felt. I stopped my vegan diet for a while there when I was married. Though the cheese sand everything I consumed tasted great, I felt like a hypocrite and I felt horrible eating all of that. It just wasn't for me, but again convenience is a bitch.

I remember thinking to myself, "I want to run a marathon." So I picked one of the hardest ones in the country which was in the town I lived in. Eventually I'd decide to train instead for a sprint tri forgoing the marathon. That was my chance to start eating clean and educating myself on sports nutrition and my overall health.

My mood started changing, almost overnight. I felt like I was about to do something great, and I was. The pounds started dropping off and I started noticing my overall endurance increasing. That person I looked at in the mirror started to smile more. It was apparent I found my church so to speak.

My journey isn't over. I'm constantly learning, constantly improving as a person, as a Dad, and as an athlete. I don't do this to win races, I do this both to stay sane and to inspire others. Depression is a bitch, and it's even harder to ask for help, especially if you're proud or whatever. But please know that there are people you've never met out there that can help pick you up. There are people out there that are willing to listen, to be there for you. There are people who actually care.

My mind is all over the place, so excuse the randomness. I'm still broken up over how I used to look. I'm in a happier place now and I think you can see it in my newer photo.... if you ever ever ever need help, please reach out.....