Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Why Do I Run?

I'm just going to start writing (tapping the keyboard on my phone) and see what I come up with. I'm sorry ahead of time if this post appears to be a bit more nonsense and rambling.

Why do I run? The real question is why hadn't I started sooner? The way my brain works is like placing a truck load of firecrackers into a closed bucket and lighting them. They are contained within the bucket, fighting to get out. My brain is similar in that my thoughts are like firecrackers firing off with no where to go.
Running allows me to sift through my thoughts and focus on ones that are important and could possibly benefit my life and those around me. Sitting still and thinking doesn't do it for me because for some reason I focus solely on negative thoughts when I'm quiet, sitting still. I don't know, it's just the way I work. So moving forward, running really helps put me into a meditative state and my thoughts are organized. I become more collected the further I go and my mind is at ease.

Living with adult ADHD can be rough at times. People often don't understand me or the way my brain works. Running helps level me out, calms me down and gives me more sustainable energy. Nothing wakes me up more than an early morning run, whether it be 3 miles or 15+, I need my morning run like a caffeine addict needs their morning cup of Joe.

I'm a different, more confident person since I've been introduced to running. I'm evolving, improving, and becoming stronger as a person, a father, and a friend. If you've read my previous posts, you'll know that I look at running as a tool, a metaphor for self improvement. You can use the strength it took you to get up and over that hill in any part of your life.  The struggle in the run is no different than struggling at work, at least that's my take. It makes sense to me.

There's a reason I run, I run to be the best me I could possibly be.