Saturday, November 15, 2014

Balancing Act

We struggle to balance our work/professional lives and our time away from the desk. We strive for a more financially secure life, often sacrificing personal freedom. These monkey wrenches thrown into normal routines cause rifts and cause you to get discouraged from your never ending journey. At least that's true for me.

Constantly worrying about what to eat or can I even afford to do it and finally I'm in a position where that's not even a problem. Took me a while to crawl out of the rut, but in financially secure at the sacrifice of being able to relax or focus on running. Typing that out, maybe that's the problem. I'm focusing way to hard and I need to let go and do what I intended to do and that's live.

Worrying is the thief of joy and living. I was so used to worrying about the future that I wasn't living in the present, and now I don't financially have to worry, but I'm so used to worrying. I'm still acclimating to my stability. I need more time and that's ok. Learning to be patient and humble is an ongoing process which I believe would not only improve ourselves, but the world as a whole, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Point of this post is focusing on how we as endurance athletes balance our lives in order to maintain sanity through training. Basically, how do we make time for doing what keeps us sane?

Speaking for myself, I love my job, but I need to decompress from the unwanted stress that comes along with it. That's where trail running comes in. You've heard me talk about the comparison to meditation and running. And if I want to stay sane, if I want to continue through life with a smile on my face and a positive mental outlook, I need to run as often as humanly possible. Ask my Ragnar team about how antsy I get when I'm waiting. I'd rather just be running.

Working 10 hour days, 5 days a week, it's hard to fit a run in during those days. And my two days off a week, I'm either beat or spending time with my kids. Where do I fit my runs in?! I find time, make time. I need the run. It's necessary for my well being. When I tell people what I do for fun outside of my busy work week, they are amazed by the miles I put in and wonder how I fit it in. Funny how people assume that there's not enough time in the day. And yes, I still make time for precious sleep.

My plea to anyone and everyone reading this blog post, follow your heart and instead of going through the process and waiting to die, get up and live. We are given "one life, one chance" so make the most out of it. If you're ever struggling to find motivation or need any sort of inspiration, I'll be there hoping to lend my hand and help lift you back up.

Thanks for reading.