Friday, June 26, 2015

Inspiration, Motivation From Peers

Trip to the towers at 5:30am(it's Arizona and its summer) with about 1500' of elevation gain, which to the rest of the world isn't much, but it's what we got. Started out slow as the initial climb is gradual and can slowly steal your energy. The trail, Holbert at South Mountain, is more of a trail people use to hike and can be rocky and technical, but occasionally you get trail runners challenging themselves to head upwards towards the TV towers. The trail leads alongside the mountain with shade from the sun rising casting a nice shadow making the run less hot. Coming up to the road (Summit Road), you get a nice steady climb and a tree that's a home to bees. Careful there. Just last the guard rail, Holbert continues on what Carl calls "Holbert Island," as it shall be known from here on out. Once off of Holbert Island, you are to run on Summit Road to the top(about a mile, maybe less). Here is where my inspiration and motivation or the topic of this post comes from. 

My first experience with this run wast even a run. Tabitha (Carl's wife) and I took the trip to the towers on our bikes. At the top , we waited for Carl to get  on the final ascent to the towers. When we finally caught eye of him making his way up the road, Tabitha says "I absolutely love seeing him power up that final climb" as we start cheering him on. It was an awesome thing to witness. I get so much joy from watching my friends and peers tackle obstacles that I thought impossible or extremely difficult. It gives me motivation, inspiration and makes me say to myself "I want to be like that." Carl is a beast, a person who loves everything about running. He works hard, trains smart, and helps motivate those around him with a constant positive attitude towards the "sport," encouraging people to do great things. It's no surprise that a lot of my inspiration comes from Carl and Tabitha though I don't get to see them as much as I'd like, but they are huge important people in my lives. 

The point of this post is to share a story of where you get motivation from. I am inspired to push harder, to run with my heart, to do what I love no matter what because of the friends I have. I may not be the fastest or the best runner out there, but I am becoming the best possible version of myself. If it weren't for people like Carl, Mary, Coach Frank, people who push and encourage me and most importantly believe in me, I doubt I would believe in myself. Out there running, i get lonely, or alone with my thoughts. I get discouraged and want to quit. But I draw motivation from these people. I don't know if I'm making sense, but this is the only way I know how to express myself. Running truly is my expression of who I am and who I want to be. I'm so thankful for this gift, my friends and loved ones.