Thursday, June 23, 2016

I Eat Plants

It took Scott Jurek 46 days, 8 hours and 7 minutes to travel the length of the Appalachian trail which is 2189 miles! Most people would never even fathom doing that trail in on solid go in the amount of time he did and most people didn't think he'd be able to do so with a diet consisting of plants. Someone even was quoted in saying that he would need some real food. Since when was a banana not considered real food? Think about that for a second because it's not uncommon for people who consume the standard american diet to look at unprocessed, raw vegetables as faux food.

My thought process on the matter is people argue what they are afraid or unsure of. They feed into what the media and government tells them they should eat and go with it. Most of the time, they pick on people who live a plant based diet proclaiming "you need more protein." It appears that people automatically become a self proclaimed expert on the subject of nutrition without fully understanding what they're talking about, belittling compassionate living in the process. For as long as I've lived even a vegetarian lifestyle, I've heard every joke, wise crack known to man, rehashed in so many ways, that when someone starts talking to me after learning how I choose to eat, I have almost a 6th sense and know what they're going to say. Sure it gets old, but I pick my battles and roll with the punches so to speak.

In the not to distant past, I embarked on a life changing journey, not just for my own physical life, but someone else's. A short version of the story is, I'm donating or in the process of donating my kidney to someone. The reason I bring that up is, that I'm learning more about myself, physically, than I would have ever imagined. My labs (my blood is being drawn with each visit) come back almost laughable in that they're so "perfect." My cholesterol is beyond low, and I wish I knew what the rest of the numbers meant. Going back to the process of donating my kidney. Part of my many many many appointments was to meet with a Mayo Clinic Nutritionist. She looked at my labs and laughed saying, "You're easy," in regards to my test results. Apparently it's more common for them to have to coach someone on ways to eat properly stating "you need to eat more vegetables and fruit, grains and nuts." Well, that's the basis of my diet. She asked what I eat on a daily basis. "Yesterday I had 4 bananas with chia seeds, and a bag of frozen fruit, blended in a smoothie with water. Lunch, I had half a watermelon. Dinner we had BBQ bean burritos with grilled peach salsa and avocado." I also added in how much water I consumed. She said, "well that's why your blood work is so good." By eating unprocessed foods, I believe and I have the backing from a doctor, that is the direct cause of having healthy kidneys, organs, blood, body and mind. My body doesn't have to fight to break down highly processed "foods."

Now, I'm not perfect, but I do my best to maintain a healthy body. I see sick people every day, complaining about their weight, their health and so on. I look at their food and shake my head. It's like a pack of cigarettes with a warning label on the side of the pack stating how horrible they are for you. What if you could eat food that cures you of ailments? What if food was your medicine? What would a world be without the need of medicines that "are poison to us, but we use for their side affects?" Seriously, the meat, dairy and pharmaceutical corporations would have a shit fit. There are so many signs pointing fingers at them stating how they're hiring lobbyist to cover up any true facts regarding healthy living. Pharmaceutical businesses want us to be sick, if we weren't they'd be up shit creek. It's truly frustrating to me how sick our country is and yet the solution is so simple. Eat clean(er) and life will get much more enjoyable and healthy.

Why people choose to eat like garbage is either they don't know any better and are poorly educated on health and nutrition or they just frankly don't care and or don't want to know what's going into their body. People tend to enjoy being plugged into the matrix. Why would someone eat something they can't pronounce?! Raw food eliminates having to read the labels because lettuce is just lettuce, tomatoes are just tomatoes, watermelon is just watermelon. You get the picture and I hope you can understand my frustration here. Again, I'm not holier than thou, and I am not the cleanest or healthiest person in the world. I'm not the poster child for healthy living, but I truly believe a healthy diet coupled with consistent exercise could possibly lead to a peaceful mind and body.

Please, for the love of god, educate yourself on what you're putting in your body before you are pushing up daisies. When I have doctors telling me they wished more people had labs similar to mine, it leads me to believe more people should wake up and eat with a piece of mind. Educate yourself! Eat like you give a fuck!