Thursday, June 9, 2016

"Training" Diary: 6/9/2016

Workout Summary:

5 minute sprints

12 flutter kicks with medicine ball

5 pull-ups

12 box jumps

12 medicine ball slams

12 kettle bell swings

Repeat 3x

5 minute cool down run, easy pace

I'm a firm believer in allowing life to happen organically. Life will present itself for those willing to let go and stop trying to force everything. By the way, my ADHD has been terrible as of late so bare with me here as I just start typing nonsense. Speaking of typing nonsense, I was coached by a close friend of mine, years ago, on how to write. There was a moment that my "writer's block" was intense and I couldn't get anything out of my head that I felt was worth posting. That's when I was told to "just start typing and words will follow." Let me tell you, that's very true!

See, I have a lot on my mind as of late with huge life changing events on the horizon. However, all this "stuff" on my mind is seriously starting to build up. About the only time I feel I'm able to expel any of these thoughts and clear up some room for more is when I'm running, or "training" at the gym.

I miss working out with coach Frank. Especially when we were doing strength and conditioning. He would put us through these grueling vomit inducing workouts that would make the toughest person whimper. Frank was so focused on strengthening not only our bodies, but our minds so that when we faced adversity during a race we would be able to pull through and find that extra gear. Here's the thing, these sessions weren't only race related. What we went through made us stronger in every day life as well. That's one of the many things I love about Frank. He encouraged us to push and to push and to push, but he truly made us better people. He's such a giving person and he has inspired me to be the best possible version of me that I could ever be. I'm confident I will be the best husband I could ever be, the best dad my kids would ever want and need, the best man, the best friend, the best person as a whole. It's not just Frank being himself, but giving us confidence in who we are.

You've heard me many times over talk about quitting. Yes, I've been there more times than I'd like to admit. I think it's because I haven't really committed myself to where I am headed or because I was taking the journey seriously. Not sure really, but quitting is always an option and a very real option at that. Those who say, "quitting is not an option," don't understand or are trying to trick people into thinking that they have to continue no matter what. Ok, running can be painful, but...here me out on this, if you're able to reach past that barrier and then feel like quitting only to reach even further, trust me when I say this, you'll finish your run and look back at what you did. Now I'm not the best at articulating my thoughts as I've said before, but I find the feeling of accomplishment is one of the best "highs" one could ever be on. Doing something you never thought you'd be able to do makes you feel as if you could do anything. I don't know how else to explain it, but it's such a wonderful feeling.

Look, I don't have the miracle cure all answer to life, but I do know that running has the potential to help you enjoy what life has to offer.